Imagine having to choose between eating and staying warm, between filling prescriptions or paying heating bills.
Each winter, hundreds of New River Valley citizens face exactly these choices.
New River Community Action (NRCA) Floyd County Emergency Assistance Program (FCEAP) offers a variety of temporary assistance for permanent residents or transients within Floyd County who are 200% poverty income or below who are experiencing a financial crisis.
NRCA Floyd Emergency Assistance Program provides assistance with:
- weekend food packs for school children,
- rent or mortgage,
- heating fuel,
- gasoline to get to doctor or employment, and
- emergency motel shelter.
Some examples of crises that low-income people frequently face are:
- high utility bills,
- decrease in income,
- disabilities and chronic health issues,
- significant amount of medical debt,
- housing costs greater than 50 percent of income, or