NRV Cares from Click & Pledge on Vimeo.
NRV CARES protects children from abuse and strengthens families through education, advocacy and community partnerships. NRV CARES provides important services in the community through our three program areas:
CASA of the New River Valley recruits and trains volunteers to advocate for safe, permanent homes for abused and neglected children who are involved in court proceedings. CASA volunteers are appointed by the courts and are everyday people serving as the “eyes and ears” for the judge. Our CASA program advocates for more than 100 children each year, serving courts in the Counties of Giles, Floyd, Montgomery, and Pulaski as well as the City of Radford. Volunteer trainings are held twice each year in the Fall and Spring. If you are interested in learning more about CASA of the New River Valley or in becoming a CASA Volunteer, please call 540.381.8312 or email: email@example.com.
Our Parent Education program provides education and support for parents and caregivers throughout the New River Valley. Working with trained class facilitators, we offer three programs:
· Circle of Parents is an ongoing support group for parents and caregivers of children ages birth to 18 years old. This weekly program offers conversation about the perfect and imperfect moments of parenting as well as strategies to make family lives more fulfilling and successful. Dinner and childcare are provided and the program is free to all participants.
· Parenting Through Separation and Divorce is a four-hour seminar specifically designed to help separating and divorcing parents of children under the age of 19 support their child’s emotional wellbeing during this transition. Using curriculum approved by the Virginia Supreme Court, this program is typically held once each month. Registration is required and seating is limited. The cost for each participant is $50.
· Parenting Young Children is an eight-week series using the Systematic Training for Effective Parenting (STEP) curriculum for parents and caregivers of children ages birth to six years old. This course is offered free to all participants and provides dinner and childcare. Registration is required.
NRV CARES aims to educate the community about the existence of child abuse and its traumatic effects, as well as support children and families in our community. Activities include the following: community presentations, parenting workshops, Hugs & Kisses plays, activities for Child Abuse Prevention Month each April, and Stewards of Children, a child sexual abuse prevention program.
· Hugs and Kisses introduces the concepts of good touch, bad touch, and secret touch to elementary school students in a sensitive and an age appropriate manner through an award-winning musical production. In conjunction with Theatre IV, NRV CARES offers this program free to all elementary schools in the New River Valley and works with local Departments of Social Services to provide on-site response to children who have questions.
· Stewards of Children is a two and half hour program designed to educate community members on how to identify and report child sexual abuse. Working with trained facilitators, NRV CARES provides this training free of charge to agencies, organizations, and individuals interested in working to provide a community free of child abuse.
If you are interested in requesting a presentation or community or parent education program, please call 540.381.8310 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.