The Wilderness Road Regional Museum, owned and operated by the New River Historical Society, is located in Newbern, VA, which was the first county seat of Pulaski County from 1839 to 1893. Originally, the museum started as two separate log homes owned by the Hance family, who founded the town of Newbern in 1810. By 1850, additions allowed the Hances - and later, the Alexanders - to create the large building seen today.
Housed in the museum are collections of clothing and other artifacts that help the museum interpret 19th century life along the Wilderness Road - a part of the Great Road that aided in western expansion - including the lives of travelers along the road as well as those who chose to stay behind and establish themselves as some of the first official citizens of Pulaski County. The museum has been able to create several great exhibits with its artifacts. New spring 2017 exhibits include an incredible display of uniforms and military items collected from local citizens, including rare World War II posters.
In addition, the museum owns an extensive document collection that has been cataloged and archived by Emory and Henry College. Dr. Talmage Stanley, a Pulaski County native, led "The Newbern Project" for five years before returning the documents to the museum in the summer of 2016. View the listing of records on our website!
The museum relies on you to help keep making progress in preserving Pulaski County's history. All contributions are appreciated!